INTERIOR DESIGNER ACCREDITATION ROUNDTABLE 01
The successful completion of Singapore Interior Design Accreditation Roundtable 01 at the National Design Centre on 20 March 2020.
Chaired by SIDS President – Prof. Keat Ong and SIDS Accreditation Committee Chair – Ar. Lai Yee Ling, the event sees a stellar turnout by industry heavyweights across the 4 sectors from government agencies, trade associations, schools to the practitioners.
Complete List of Participants:
1. Mr. Larry Ng (Board of Architects – Registrar)
2. Ms. Rita Soh (Architects Regional Council Asia – President)
3. Mr. Mark Wee (Design Singapore Council – Executive Director)
4. Ms. Cynthia Liau (Building & Construction Authority – Senior Manager, BuildSG Office)
5. Mr. Mark Yong (Singapore Furniture Industries Council – President)
6. Er. Yvonne Soh (Singapore Green Building Council – Executive Director)
7. Mr. Callistus Chong (Institute of Technical Education College – Senior Director, School of Design & Media)
8. Ms. Veronica Yew Swee Meng (Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts – Programme Leader Interior & Exhibition School of Art & Design)
9. Mr. Alan Ong (Nanyang Polytechnic – Deputy Manager)
10. Mr. Colin Chew (BCA Academy – Senior Lecturer)
11. Mr. Chow Kim Nam (Singapore Polytechnic – Deputy Director)
12. Mr. Fann Zhi Jie (Singapore Polytechnic – Course Chair Diploma in Interior Design)
13. Mr. Franz (Raffles Design Institute Singapore – Senior Lecture)
14. Mr. Arsh Chaudhry (Space Matrix Design Consultants Pte Ltd – CEO)
15. Mr. Khairudin Saharom (Kite Studio Architecture – Principal & Director)
16. Ms. Ng Hwee Li (Liid Studio Pte Ltd – Founder & Principal)
17. Mr. Phillips M Connor (Independent Consultants – Design Leader)
18. Mr Low Chee Kiang (932 Design – Co-Founder)
19. Mr Jacks Yeo (Design Singapore Council – Deputy Executive Director)
20. Mr Daniel Pillai (Design Singapore Council – Senior Assistant Director)
It was a constructive 3 hours session of strategic discussions and engagements between the participants and SIDS.
Generally, all the participants were supportive towards the accreditation program. Some of the key pointers shared by the participants include the following:
The Accreditation Program:
- Provides a better and clearer career pathing for ID students when they graduate.
- Provides a more structured progression tiers for the ID fraternity.
- Provides consumers with better clarity on who they engaging which comes with different price points for consideration.
- Regulator, Practitioners, Institute of Higher Learnings (IHLs) as well as Associated Trade Associations were all supportive of the initiatives which provides a clearer definition to the good work of IDs.